North Korea fires multiple projectiles – S Korean media

North Korea has fired multiple unidentified projectiles off its east coast, South Korea‘s military is quoted as saying by Yonhap news agency.

The launch was made from the Hodo peninsula on Wednesday morning local time, South Korea‘s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) says, according to Yohnap.

It was not clear what type of projectiles they were. North Korea has so far made no comments on the issue.

Last week, North Korea fired two short-range missiles, according to the JCS.

Both missiles reportedly travelled about 430km (267 miles), reaching an altitude of 50km, before falling into the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea.

Last week‘s reported launch was the first since , where they agreed to restart denuclearisation talks.

They come as Pyongyang voices anger over planned military exercises between South Korea and the US, an annual event which the allies have refused to cancel.

The North has warned the exercises could affect the resumption of denuclearisation talks, which US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had said would likely start in July.

There have been no further public meetings between US and North Korean officials.

Last year, Mr Kim said North Korea would stop nuclear testing and would no longer launch intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Nuclear activity appears to be continuing, however, and satellite images of North Korea‘s main nuclear site last month showed movement, suggesting the country could be reprocessing radioactive material into bomb fuel.

Pyongyang also continues to demonstrate its abilities to develop new weapons despite strict economic sanctions.